Don’t Be Too Sure, You Could Be Racist Too

104045_racism1.jpg

Racism comes in many different forms. Sometimes it's subtle, and sometimes it's overt. Sometimes it's violent, and sometimes it's harmless, but it's definitely here. It's something that I think we're all guilty of, and we just have to make sure that we deal with our own personal racism in the right way.

– Jordan Peele

Interestingly, no one wants to be racist, almost everyone seems to deny being racist, yet racism continues to exist and thrive. Now, because of this denial, I have decided to discuss what racism is and signs that show that you might be racist.

According to ADL, Racism is defined as the hatred of one person by another — or the belief that another person is less than human — because of skin colour, language, customs, place of birth or any factor that supposedly reveals the basic nature of that person.

Also, according to the American Heritage College Dictionary, racism has two meanings. Firstly, racism is, “The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.” Secondly, racism is, “Discrimination or prejudice based on race.”

Aside from these definitions, there are quotes which shed light on racism which include:

·         Racism is an -ism to which everyone in the world today is exposed; for or against, we must take sides. And the history of the future will differ according to the decision which we make—Ruth Benedict

·         Racism, in the first place, is a weapon used by the wealthy to increase the profits they bring in by paying Black workers less for their work. –Angela Davis

·         Racism is a very insidious thing. It's dangerous to the psyche, to mind and body. It erodes the self-confidence. And I don't know how we get through it. –Ruby Dee

Now despite these definitions, you may think you are not a racist so here are 10 signs that show that you could be racist. 

1.    If you tend to start a conversation with, I am not a racist but…. Truth is you are likely to say something that is racist.

2.    If you feel compelled to point out characteristics you don’t like about people from another race.

3.    You tend to defend racists and even make excuses for them.

4.    You refer to all Asian people as Chinese.

5.    You believe everyone is a racist, so it doesn’t matter if you are one too.

6.    You refer to people of colour as ghetto

7.    You are suspicious of people that are of a different race.

8.    You believe that whites are better than the blacks

9.    You use 9/11 to justify prejudice against persons of Middle Eastern descent.

10. You oppose scholarships that take race into special consideration because you think it’s unfair.

Now, even if all 10 signs do not apply to you and it is just 2 or 3 that seem like what you say or believe, you are still racist. And although you might pay your taxes, give to the poor, provide shelter to the homeless you are still an indecent human being, which is why you should seek ways to be a better human being and stop being racist. 

In my previous article, Black Is Beautiful, A Lot of Blacks Know That; But Do the Whites Know It Too?” I highlighted some ways to put end to racism so you can start your journey to redeem yourself by reading that article.

Also, there has also been a lot of buzz on mixed children being the solution to racism, although people like Daniel Boweller and K. Worthen are deeply convinced that having mixed babies won’t solve racism.  I think if you are in love with someone from another race you should go for it and marry the person.

So long as you make racism your business and you are actively doing something to put an end to it, you will be helping to make the world a decent place to live in.

I am Kamdi Okonjo

#LetsSpeakAgainstRacism

#LetsSayNoToRacism

#TateAfrica